[squeak-dev] Selectors with underscores

Ken G. Brown kbrown at mac.com
Thu Mar 11 22:30:34 UTC 2010

Seems like underscores in selectors should be allowed. A single underscore as a selector would mean assignment.

I don't personally like underscores as assignment but they could be allowed by preference but only if they had whitespace either side.

x _ z would be ok equivalent to x := z

And disallow underscore as assignment without whitespace either side.

x_ z or x_z not ok for assignment, they would be taken as selectors.

And encouragement should be provided for preferentially using := going forward.
Seems like a simple enough solution, or am I missing something?

Ken G. Brown