[squeak-dev] Re: [vwnc] GSoC idea: Brainstorming portal for better community decision process

Gregory Bourassa gbourassa at key.net
Fri Mar 12 00:47:09 UTC 2010

Janko,

Paul has made some criticisms of your idea elsewhere on the thread...and
some of his points are certainly worth considering.

However,  a system with some of the attributes you describe might be
implemented as a "fun" tool to experiment with social communities and
the outcomes of their interactions.   If you take one step of
abstraction away from "serious" consensus-seeking and make the tool
configurable enough to support "playing at consensus seeking",   it
might become a runaway hit.  :-)

Gregory Bourassa

Janko Mivšek wrote:
> Dear Smalltalkers,
>
> Becasue we have quite some problems in a community with seeking a
> consensus on important questions, from organization ones and on, I came
> to idea to build a tool for help. And a GSoC project can be an ideal
> opportunity to build such a tool. What do you think?
>
> Here is a description:
>
> Brainstorming portal for better community decision process
>
> Create a web portal for brainstorming sessions/meetings to get ideas and
> answers to important questions in Smalltalk community. Portal should
> allow on-line to:
>
>    1. brainstorm the ideas
>    2. vote to get-out the best ideas
>    3. seek consensus
>    4. analyze - report
>
> On-line session/meeting should look like a Skype session together with a
> brainstorming portal, from collecting ideas to a final decision
> proposal. Example of such session can be a Squeak Oversight Board
> meeting or planning session for a new Smalltalk project. Or some broader
> session in the community, like on a question how to organize better.
>
> Some important concepts:
>
>     * anonymity of idea proposers
>     * associations: proposers see the ideas of anonymous others to
>       facilitate an association for proposing an even better idea
>     * seeking consensus to avoid 51/49% decisions but to come closer to
>       100% agreement on important ideas.
>
> Technical details
>
>     * a web application for gathering brainstormed ideas in real-time
>       (using Ajax and Comet technology).
>     * voting system with appropriate algorithms
>     * analytics with on-line graphs and reports on paper/PDF
>     * installation on a publicly available hosting server
>
> Benefits to the Student
>
>     * getting insight into group dynamics of Smalltalk community and in
>       general
>     * gaining knowledge of modern web technologies in Smalltalk and in
>       general
>
> Benefits to the Community
>
> Better community decision process by getting the best ideas from the
> members while on the other side avoiding stalemates so frequent in
> Smalltalk community those days
>

> Best regards
> Janko

Key Technology, Inc. Disclaimer Notice - The information and
attachment(s) contained in this communication are intended
for the addressee only, and may be confidential and/or legally
privileged. If you have received this communication in error,
please contact the sender immediately, and delete this
communication from any computer or network system. Any
interception, review, printing, copying, re-transmission,
dissemination, or other use of, or taking of any action upon
recipient is strictly prohibited by law and may subject them
to criminal or civil liability. Key Technology, Inc. is not
liable for the improper and/or incomplete transmission of the
information contained in this communication or for any delay
in its receipt.