[squeak-dev] [ExperimentalCoreRelease] PharoCore-1.0-10508rc2 vs SL3dot11-9499-alpha

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2005 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 13:05:07 UTC 2010

On 3/12/10 10:51 AM, "Ian Trudel" <ian.trudel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Besides, Pharo has adopted a Macish look-and-feel. I think it would be
> a misopportunity to move forward such look-and-feel because it makes
> no sense to copy when a software has its own windowing system. We
> should have native windows if we want a native look-and-feel, and not
> everybody runs MacOS X. Squeak has an opportunity to distinguish
> itself and step the mark with its very own look-and-feel.

I go back to Great Squeak for SqueakCore , the first you see is the green
gradient fill and the BatMorph annoying whose only goal is Web as usual.
For Mac I have OS X and for Windoze the ugly Hasta la Vista.
In the very long run I want LinXqueak drived from Terminal and let me choose
external packages.

> Edgar, when you wrote your comment, it made me think that
> you would ditch the trunk and go back to the old ways. And I see that
> you insist on using a 120 days unused mailing list when we need to
> fusion as a community rather than fragment.

Not so.
If nobody use the list is why we don't believe in the 3.11 ReleaseTeam.
The 3.10 ReleaseTeam have it working.
People say no list , I listen people.
End of the subject.

> I will hope that you will elicit and document what the current
> problems and potential solutions are provided that you are elected as
> a board member.

I don't have many chances as people trust more JustTalkers.
But I repeat , do myself anyway.
Just now I cook this

* Ast ()
* BabySRE ()
* Bogus ()
* Collections ()
Compiler ()
Compression ()
ConsoleUI ()
DynamicBindings (DynamicBindings-gc.7)
Exceptions ()
* FFI ()
Files ()
* FlexibleVocabularies ()
* Graphics ()
HV (HV-edc.147)
HVBlog (HVBlog-edc.4)
* Kernel ()
KomHttpServer (KomHttpServer-edc.52)
KomServices (KomServices-gc.19)
* MinimalMorphic ()
* MinimalMorphicLoader ()
* Monticello ()
* Morphic ()
* MorphicExtras ()
* Multilingual ()
* Network ()
Network-HTML (Network-HTML-md.4)
* Ob ()
* Omnibrowser ()
* PackageInfo ()
Protocols ()
* Refactoring ()
* ST80 ()
SUnit (SUnit-nice.74)
* Services (Services-edc.1)
ShoutCore (ShoutCore-ar.2)
* Smbase ()
* Sound ()
* System ()
ToolBuilder ()
* Tools ()
Traits ()
* Universes ()
VB-Regex (VB-Regex-MarcusDenker.40)
* Vb ()
XML-Parser (XML-Parser-mir.9)

File 'MMDev.7246.image' is 9942124 bytes long.

It's not fancy and not Closures, but you see Minimal could load last SUnit
(SUnit-nice.74) from trunk and VB-Regex (VB-Regex-MarcusDenker.40) from
Pharo TODAY.
The bare MinimalMorphic is 7.3 mb and use the same CodeLoader they forgive
you have.
How they plan load .pr or .morph, with Metacello adding lots of code ?
Or with Mason ?
Maybe with Sm ? Someone who knows more care to see why you can't use it on
Wonder Trunk NoBreaking?

Sure, they like kill mosquitoes with a cannon and me prefer slay dragons
with a rubber.

Seems the slow turtle leads the Core business if you need power and not care
too much on details.
Still I don't put HVNaughtieWiki into...

Edgar
P.S. Sometimes I itch people for see what they really want and how much help
will I get.
Apollogize