[squeak-dev] [ExperimentalCoreRelease] PharoCore-1.0-10508rc2 vs SL3dot11-9499-alpha

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Fri Mar 12 16:25:28 UTC 2010

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010, keith wrote:

>>> Trunk break when you use it and some choose ignore this and pretend all
>>> works well.
>>
>> What do you mean? How does it break?
>
> I think my question is not how it breaks, but how it manages to stay working.
>
> The kind of changes Edgar would like to make, to the actual kernel of squeak,
> are the same as the changes I want to make, and will inevitably break things,
> unless he is very careful.

So what's the conclusion?

>>> If you play fair, the most advanced is Pharo, well done and more
>>> beautiful.
>>
>> Noone forces you to use Squeak.
>
> This comment I think is quite rude. Edgar has been a squeak user for many
> years, and has dived in with both feet to try and improve things all the
> time.

(I know I shouldn't answer Keith's rant, but I just can't stop myself,
sorry.)
I'm pretty disappointed that the Release Team Leader of Squeak 4.1 (aka
Trunk) thinks that Pharo is "most advanced" and "well done". I feel like
our hard work worth nothing to him. And I think Edgar didn't mean that
Pharo is better because it has a better look-and-feel as Andreas thought,
because of these statements:
"They have Gofer, seems a good thing to have.
Also have Polymorh, sorry don.t buy this one."

> So along comes a new process which shuts him out from contributing to squeak,
> as it has me, and we are told...

Bullshit.

Levente