[squeak-dev] Re: [vwnc] image overload

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 19:04:30 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Bruce Boyer <bruce.boyer at alumni.uci.edu>wrote:

>  This is rather a sensitive area with me at the moment, as I'm working on
> indexing docs.  I've had to resort to using "image" and "graphical image" to
> try to distinguish these two, but "image" remains unclear to anyone who
> doesn't already know.
>
> I could guess that the term "snapshot" came first, as a methaphorical
> attempt to describe what saving that thing is, and "image" is what snapshots
> give (or pictures or something even worse for that thing).  But, it's only a
> guess.

Right.  That's why I don't like either snapshot or image.  What are these
snapshots or images of?  They are intentionally abstract terms and are
unhelpful.  Yes, snapshot is much better, but still hopelessly abstract.

> If a really good term were proferred, the documentation cost will be
> amortized over a long period of time, so not a worry.  Getting it accepted
> by smalltalkers will be the harder problem.
>
> I'm not sure, though, that "system file" is right.  The file part is just
> an artifact of saving the state of the system, providing a way to preserving
> it for a restart.

But I see a snapshot file are more than just a memory dump.  It /is/ the
entire Smalltalk system, class library, potentially compiler, debugger,
tools.  It is in a format that requires the virtual machine to run it, but
it is in fact the Smalltalk system in quiescent form.  It is not a memory
dump.  It is only a dump of the Smalltalk object heap, not the entire memory
space.

It is more than just a way of saving the state.  It is also a way of moving
that state and resuming it on a different system.  Once you have the virtual
machine key you can unlock the image, uh, system, but everything you need to
program the system (beyond execution display and input devices) is there.

 Is there a recognizable term for the state of memory at a moment?
> Cognitive scientists might have something, though I'm sure it would be
> hugely debated whether there is any such thing.

I forget...