[squeak-dev] image overload

Ron Teitelbaum Ron at USMedRec.com
Fri Mar 12 19:45:30 UTC 2010

Hi Eliot,

How about World.  You can shut down the World file and then start it back up
and everything still lives.  (It's already part of the Squeak lexicon).
What are you doing?  You are taking a snapshot of the World.  You are
producing an image of the World: The Smalltalk World.

Ron Teitelbaum

  _____

From: squeak-dev-bounces at lists.squeakfoundation.org
[mailto:squeak-dev-bounces at lists.squeakfoundation.org] On Behalf Of Eliot
Miranda
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2010 12:59 PM
To: The general-purpose Squeak developers list; Pharo Development; vwnc NC
Subject: [squeak-dev] image overload

Hi All,

    I'm sure Im opening an old topic but anyway, as I was riding the train
to work today I saw a shop called "Audio Images" and it struck me how
overloaded the term image is, and how poor a term for the contents of the
image file Smalltalk image is.  What's in the image is a snapshot of...
almost the entire system (minus platform-specific virtual machine and
possibly minus sources).  So Smalltalk system file would be a far better
term and stsys a more unique file extension (and according to Wikipedia STS
is unused too).  I can imagine that changing form image would be hugely
expensive in documentation terms (docs, websites, workspaces, etc, etc).
But I can at least dream of a better term.

P.S.  I know, wasting one's time worrying about names.  Almost as bad as
worrying about colours

"And the wheel," said the Captain, "What about this wheel thingy? It sounds
a terribly interesting project."
"Ah," said the marketing girl, "Well, we're having a little difficulty
there."
"Difficulty?" exclaimed Ford. "Difficulty? What do you mean, difficulty?
It's the single simplest machine in the entire Universe!"
The marketing girl soured him with a look.
"Alright, Mr. Wiseguy," she said, "if you're so clever, you tell us what
colour it should be."