[squeak-dev] Regarding Polymorph

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 08:25:29 UTC 2010

On 13 March 2010 10:06, Nicolas Cellier
> 2010/3/13 Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com>:
>> Guys, your points taken.
>>
>> This project, as well as many others are victims of monolithic design.
>> Morphic is monolithic. And Polymorph, placed on top if it, inevitably
>> inherits a worst
>> from its base - a monolithic design :(
>> Also, Pharo cut out many etoys-only stuff from Morphic,
>> while Squeak proclaimed to keep etoys in place (until better times ;)
>>
>> GUI, as well as many other parts of system needs systematical approach
>> - maintenance,
>> support and improvement on a regular basis.
>> Being a member of community for last 4 years i din't observed anything
>> like that related to Morphic.
>>

> Hey, it's far more involving than changing just Collections...
> The code base is large, tricky, and every change potentially break
> tools and put another image in you garbage bin.

True. So, let us then stop any development and use Squeak 1.0 image,
since its "code base is large, tricky, and every change potentially
break tools and put another image in you garbage bin". :)

> Plus, it's a huge work (See VW recent failure to replace wrappers).
> But the major risk is breaking every "cool" morphic project, and thus
> see your changes rejected by community.

Still, it doesn't makes my point less relevant: as any part of system
it should be maintained and improved , otherwise it is
doomed to rot and die.

> The only way I see is starting a parallel implementation from scratch
> (not Scratch the software ;).

Like Tweak? I don't wanna get into a details, why Tweak failed to
replace Morphic in Squeak,
but i think this is what any brand new framework have to meet: compete
with Morphic and die :)

> And I think Pharo would be a better place to experiment more radical
> changes, because not tied to the past.

So, the only conclusion i can draw from above is: if you want to see
any improvement in Morphic, go Pharo.
It is ok, as for me. But not for Squeak, i guess, because it doesn't
helping it in any way.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.