[squeak-dev] Regarding Polymorph

Gary Chambers gazzaguru2 at btinternet.com
Sat Mar 13 16:47:25 UTC 2010

For what it is worth...
I have been able to load Polymorph into trunk, not the easiest (mainly due
to MC differences wrt Traits), takes
around 5 minutes of manual fixing while loading...

Once "in", clearly shows up the areas that have changed in trunk though...

(process instructions available if desired...)

My advice is, as I think you intend, is to learn from Polymorph and, even
further, push for some kind of overall UI framework that
can support the ideas. Otherwise you'll run into the same issues that I had
to deal with (backwards compatability, acceptance, with/without-EToys
etc.)...

I believe you wanted to know what the "essence" of Polymorph was (in
priority order)...

1. Look and feel familiar to end-application-users (non-Squeakers!).
2. Support for commonly expected widgets/controls/dialogs.
3. Integration with the (image/ide) environment to leverage the above for
developers.
4. Improving tools for development (Diff tools etc.).
5. Hooking Morphic to allow look/feel to be extensible.

Given the (end-user-unnaceptable) state the Squeak UI was in at the time of
inception (2006), there was no way we could deliver an end-user application
with the way Squeak was then.

Even now there is no infrastructure to be able to do these things in a
"clean" manner... A lot of work to refactor Morphic to handle such things
even now... perhaps time for a change, though there's a lot of *great* stuff
in Morphic when investigated.

Regards, Gary