[squeak-dev] Re: [Vm-dev] Re: [Squeak 4.0] RC3 is out

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Sun Mar 14 19:01:00 UTC 2010

Ken> It seems incredible to me that anyone would even consider rushing a major
Ken> release showcase snapshot milestone that will exist forever, without
Ken> putting some due care and attention to it.

We're putting plenty of care into it, but the care is not *technical*.
It's *legal* care.

We needed a fixed point for evaluation of the legal status of contributions to
Squeak.  3.10.2 was chosen as the fixed point, being the most up-to-date
release at the time.

We then decided that a condense-sources operation was essential to ensuring
that only currently-licensed code was available in the distribution, and the
right way to do this is a version number bump.  (Not repeating the 3.9
fiasco there.)

It's also convenient to say "squeak prior to 4.0 has license X, squeak after
4.0 has license y".

So the 4.0 is a legal release, and 4.1 (very soon) will be a feature
and bugfix release.