[squeak-dev] Re: Some notes about SqueakMap dead in trunk images...

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon Mar 15 23:05:42 UTC 2010

On 3/15/2010 1:26 PM, Göran Krampe wrote:
> But so far I am unclear as to why this is so. I have now tested LOTS of
> trunk images backwards and it seems to be broken all the way down to
> 7179! Funny thing is - my 3.10.1-7175 image works fine.
>
> And there may be a hint here: The 7175 image can be opened by an old
> 3-9-8 VM. But the later 7179 images can NOT be opened due to some kind
> of image format change.

Bingo. The issue is that the image format changed for closures and
there's been a bug in the image segment loading code that makes the
primitive fail in cases where the image format is older, but compatible.
I've posted a fix for that in VMMaker but I really think SM should stop
using image segments for data exchange. Image segments are not a
reliable long-term interchange format in an evolving system.

Obviously, this fix requires new VMs.

Cheers,
   - Andreas