[squeak-dev] Re: SocketSteam: Switching ascii/binary modes

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Tue Mar 16 03:53:28 UTC 2010

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 16 March 2010 04:46, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
>> On 3/15/2010 7:44 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>>
>>> Since SocketStream caching the data it reads, then instead of
>>> resetting the buffers it should convert them and avoid losing the
>>> data.
>>>
>>> What you think is an appropriate solution to this?
>>
>> Don't "reset" the buffers; simply convert them to the proper ascii/binary
>> format.

This is what we are doing in StandardFileStream.

> There could be an alternative approach:
> - keep buffers in a single (binary) format and covert an output
> depending on mode.

This is exactly what we were doing in our own SocketStream-like class. For
a general purpose SocketStream this might give some extra complexity for
the implementation, but it'd also allows us to use the stream primitives.

There's a third option if you want to optimize for rapid ascii/binary
mode changes: store both the binary and the ascii buffers and fill/copy
them in a lazy way.

Levente