[squeak-dev] Re: immutibility

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Thu Mar 18 15:30:34 UTC 2010

On 3/18/10, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

>  With true immutables you can start developing in a mixed object/functional style, which would allow interesting optimizations, e.g. for concurrency, memoization etc.

I've developed in a mixed object/functional style for years, and I
think a lot of other people do, too.   You don't need language support
for this, though I expect it would be helpful.  It makes concurrency
and distributed programming easier, and is important when you are
dealing with databases.  Eric Evans calls this "Value Object" in his
book "Domain Driven Design".

-Ralph Johnson