[squeak-dev] Console smalltalk program.

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 00:27:45 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Adrian Norberto Marino
<adrianmarino at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>        I need write a console program with smalltalk squeak.
>        Exist any tool for this task in squeak?

What I think you want is a package called OSProcess. This is available
from within Squeak: open the Package Universe browser and you'll find
it under the "System" category. Then see OSProcess class>>helloWorld
and other examples.

Also check out the CommandShell package.

This is a telnet server in Squeak called "REPLServer" (under the
"Network" category) which implements a Smalltalk-like command line
with history, editing and a few other features. You could re-use much
of the code there if you want. I think that every operating system has
a telnet client, so you get a free command line for any platform.

I haven't seen any ncurses-like functionality in Squeak before. In my
opinion, that type of environment has been long obsolete and you
should just use a modern GUI.

Gulik.

--
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/