[squeak-dev] [Meta] Community

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 20 20:33:05 UTC 2010

Any sufficiently analysed magic is indistinguishable from science. --Agatha Heterodyne, Girl Genius
http://www.girlgeniusonline.com

The web comic is all about mad genius types too fascinated by their own creations and intelligence to pay much attention to what it is doing to the world around them or to get along with their fellow mad geniuses. Won a Hugo.

I have been spending time with the comic and its fan sites rather than play with squeak and contribute as much as I did to this community.

I stick my nose back in here to find out whats going on. Root for squeaks success. Vote in the recent election.

Write the occasional concerned missive.

I sense a majority of the board are expressing themselves in ways that are distancing a good number of the rest of the community.

I don't remember Ken R Brown being a troll in the past. I even went back and read his previous posts for this month and it seemed to me he had worthwhile stuff to say, current degenerate thread excluded.

Making a blog in the name of the board was a mistake and a misstep in protocol.

Randal's response was to post HERE that he considered it hostile. Not misguided, but hostile. He could also have written to Ken, reprimanding him privately. Instead he posted publicly. Things quickly descended from there.

Bert, Colin, Andreas, chiming in and even gentle Juan posting here apologizing to everyone except Ken for using the F-word.

Pretty successfully driving Ken away.

I have no opinion about whether this was a good or a bad. I am very concerned that in a small community we treat each other so. Even more concerned that this attitude has descended over the community and that it is emanating from our elected leaders.

One of Ken Causey qualities was that he was a gentleman. I happily voted for him each time he ran for a leadership position and was sadden not to have the opportunity this time round.

I strive to find ways to emulate him when dealing with difficult situations and people. I hope that others might care to do the same.

Yours in hope and service, --Jerome Peace