[squeak-dev] Facelifting the second

tim at nada1.de tim at nada1.de
Wed Mar 24 13:57:32 UTC 2010

Hello

I have been working on improving the out-of-the-box look a little
more. Here at university, we often have the problem that students who
dabble with Squeak for the first time are, may I say, repulsed by the
look of the image.
I have created a ChangeSet with a proposed new look inspired by
Facelift, but I tried to change as few things as possible.
I tried to make everything configurable, except for the window
buttons, all colors and button positions can be set back the way they
used to be (I think, unless I forgot something).

As 4.1 freeze is approaching, I thought I put it on the list. If there
any chance to get this into the release, I'll try to fix anything
people might find wrong/not configurable enough with it.

-- short list of changes
* The white color scheme was replaced by a light gray one
* New window buttons
* The menu button position is configurable
* The expand button can be hidden
* The "Click on label to Edit" preference no longer prevents dragging
windows by the label
* Some gradients have been reduced
* A double-click on the window label will expand that window
* Iconic buttons now highlight their icons on mouse-over instead of
drawing a border around them
* Corner grip morphs can be hidden
* Button and dialog corners can be set to squared

Regards,
Tim