[squeak-dev] Facelifting the second

Michael Davies mykdavies+squeak at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 20:17:19 UTC 2010

On 24 March 2010 17:48, <tim at nada1.de> wrote:

> Hi
>
> The buttons also disappeared in my unpatched image. I just downloaded a
> clean 4.1alpha image, this also happens in there.
>
> Regards,
> Tim
>
> That was a (very helpful imo) change made in the trunk to help distinguish
between the active window and others, so not an artefact of your changes. An
alternative approach could be to keep them visible but desaturate them for
the non-front windows.

There's lots of really nice stuff in this changeset, and I really like it.
Here's a few minor issues (as tested in the 4.1-9745-alpha.image that
Andreas released the other day):
- the selected item in a list should have white text on a darkish blue
background. At the moment, PluggableListMorph, PluggableTreeMorph,
PluggableListMorphOfMany and MenuMorph all highlight the currently selected
item differently, which is a regression to where we were a couple of months
ago.
- If you pick up a menu, it has three(!) shadows while you're dragging it.
- The 'X' button on the menu hasn't been updated, so is still the old one.
- The menu title being grey makes it look like a non-active window - black
text would make it consistent.
- the "pin" on the menu disappears when you move over it (actually that pin
icon looks really un-polished in comparison to the other new icons, hint
hint).
- the decision to "square off" the menu corners means that they look much
more different from the Confirmation dialogs than they did previously - it
would be better if they started looking more similar instead. Actually I'm
not sure the menus look better with square corners when everything else is
rounded, including the docking bar menus.
- I'm sure that it's me being dense, but I can't see how to find out how to
activate eg Preferences>>installBrightWindowColors in the preferences
browser
- the Pastel colours seem to be indistinguishable from grey - is that just
me going blind?
- with these changes, the standard title font now looks really heavy - have
you tried dropping it down to DejaVu Sans size 9?

Sorry if that all sounds negative - I think it's a very attractive set of
changes, and I'd be very pleased to see it adopted for 4.1. Thanks for
sharing it!

Michael