[squeak-dev] Re: Packaging of 4.1 for Windows

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Mar 25 05:07:47 UTC 2010

On 3/24/2010 9:14 PM, Ian Trudel wrote:
> Right. Let's say we get a first test round with an installer. I have
> generated a stand-alone executable installer from Torsten's
> instructions. NSIS does not produce MSI per se.
>
> http://rapidshare.com/files/367835112/setup_squeak4.1-9745-alpha2010.03.23.exe.html

Excellent, thanks! Now we're talking. First thing I notice is that the
installer doesn't actually install anything into C:\Program Files? Silly
me didn't even know you could do that! :-)

Seriously, if we can do this, then we should just go with that. It
leaves everything in the right place and there's no confusion about what
can be written and what cannot.

The other thing I noticed is that for some reason after the installation
was complete and I ran Squeak I got a Windows notifier saying that the
app might not have installed correctly. Do you know why this might be?

And one nitpick: The splash screen for Squeak shouldn't be used as
splash screen for the installer. It's confusing; I thought that for some
reason the installer was launching Squeak.

Cheers,
   - Andreas