[squeak-dev] Re: Educational squeak

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Thu Mar 25 22:25:40 UTC 2010

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 25.03.2010, at 21:59, Lawson English wrote:
>
>> I'm a big fan of Salman Khan and the khan academy and a new convert to  Norm Wildberger's lectures on youtube.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/user/khanacademy
>> http://www.youtube.com/user/njwildberger
>>

> I didn't know Khan Academy, thanks!

1200+ lectures on youtube and counting. Quit his day job to work ont eh
project and is getting awards and grants all over (not to mention loads
of publicity).

> I bought Wildberger's book a while ago. But seeing his lectures now gives a very nice perspective. Who'd have thunk trigonometry could be friendly? ;)

I'm watching his linear algebra series. Illuminates some very obscure
corners, for me. High school-oriented math FTW!

>> Squeak needs that level and sophistication of education applied to *itself*.

Have you ever watched a ZBrush tutorial in ZBrush itself? I think a
great use-case for squeak would be to create ZBrush level tutorials with
2D and 3D graphics (including replayed Cobalt) combined with video and
sound and distribute them as files, rather than as part of the image.

With a safe web plugin, you could have a squeaktube site (hmmm better
name needed?) for streaming educational stuff.

Lawson