[squeak-dev] Re: Packaging of 4.1 for Windows

Gary Dunn osp at aloha.com
Fri Mar 26 09:28:49 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-03-26 at 00:31 -0700, Andreas Raab wrote:
> I put a copy on:
>
>    http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/install/
>
> Cheers,
>    - Andreas
>
> On 3/26/2010 12:22 AM, Ian Trudel wrote:
> > People hi,
> >
> > This is a small update on an installer for testing purpose, feedback
> > are welcomed. I'd be grateful if someone (Hi Frank!) would host the
> > installer somewhere. Rapidshare does allow limited download only.

Ian, Andreas, et al. --

Great work! I installed on Win 7, went smooth. Very attractive looking
with the Squeak logo.

A few nit picks:

1. Everything installed in \Users\gary\AppData\Local\Squeak 4.1 Alpha.
This is fine *except* that Windows default configuration has AppData
hidden, so to all but the most experienced Windows users Squeak will be
invisible and unreachable. I would prefer a folder named Squeak located
for XP under My Documents and for Win 7 a sibling of Documents, Photos,
Music, etc. which would be for storing things the user can change, such
as images files and projects. The VM should go in \Program Files\Squeak.
I have not had enough experience to say where the sources file should
go.

2. When I start Squeak with the Start menu shortcut or the desktop icon
an image selection dialog opens on \Users\gary\My Documents.

    - My new 4.1 image was not there
    - "My Documents" is the XP name, although Windows "understands"

3. There is no entry in the Remove Software control panel. I found an
uninstall program, did not test. This should be mentioned prominently
during installation.

4. Will this installer do the right thing with upgrades? I tend to put
all images in one folder. Is it better to put all 4.1 based images in a
Squeak 4.1 folder and, later, all 4.2 based images under a sibling
Squeak 4.2 folder? Upgrades have more of an effect on the VM, right? But
then there are the sources, and the ffi and other bits.

5. IMHO, the text in the Squeak desktop is too technical for first time
users. Leave Whats New on the desktop but minimized, and instead display
a welcome window that tells a first time user what to do ... how to
exit, how to open and close Squeak windows (the circle), links to
on-line tutorials and videos. Let's not have Squeak feel like an
Adventure game. (Anybody been around long enough to have played
Adventure, to experience the wonder of the Colossal Cave?)

--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
osp at aloha.com
http://openslate.net/