[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Morphic-cmm.390.mcz

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Mar 27 17:05:00 UTC 2010

On 26.03.2010, at 20:00, Chris Muller wrote:

>> That's what you get when you don't clean out the inbox. Morphic-MAD.381 was merged into trunk long ago (15 March 2010, 6:57:34.936 pm according to the source repo history - how's that for precision?) but not removed. Consequently, we now get diffs relative to this ancient version.
>>
>> When you merge something, clean up! Please :)
>
> Hmm, is the SqueakSource web UI the only way to do this?  Let's just
> count the gestures from the point after having Login, select Projects,
> selected Inbox, and clicked versions.
>
>  1.  Find the package-version in the list to clean-up.
>  2.  Click "details" (off to the right).
>  3.  Click "Delete Version" (on the left).  Be sure NOT to click
> "Delete Package" or "Delete" (which may actually be "Delete
> Dependencies" but you absolutely cannot tell because Dependencies is
> on the next line, left-justified, looking like a separate command).
>  4.  Next I suppose the software asks, "Are you sure?"  Click yes.
>  5.  Repeat steps 1-4 for each other package-version to be cleaned up.
>
> 3 fine-motor gestures PER package-version!  This sort of UI asks the
> user to submit himself to slave-labor just to clean-up something in
> the computer..

I just added a Big and Friendly "Move to The Treated Inbox" button to the version view. Better?

> Could this manual labor be avoidable since Morphic-MAD.381 is part of
> the trunk history, it should be possible to ennumerate the history and
> programmatically delete from the inbox?

Yes, but I feel uneasy about that. Committing to one repository causing a magical move of a file from a different repository to a third repository ... sure it's possible, but do we really want that? Do others have opinions?

>  If not that, then at least
> checkboxes in the Web-UI next to the items in the list that can then
> be applied the delete command..

That's harder, but maybe I figure out a way to do it.

- Bert -