[squeak-dev] Re: 603 asCharacter <print it>

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 10:41:10 UTC 2010

Thank you Nicolas for doing the test on a Mac,

I did a similar test again on MSWindows

32 to: 1000 do: [:code | Transcript show: (code printString , ' ',
code asCharacter asString,' ')]

Then I selected the generated text in the Transcript and changed the
font to a Unicode font and voila the Unicode symbols were there.

What I found out is that the problem lies at a different place

1) Open a Workspace
2) Right-Click on it and choose 'Set font'
3) Choose 'Arial'
4) Evaluate 16r411 asCharacter
-> A box appears
5) Select the expression and choose 'Arial' again.
-> The Cyrillic capital letter Be appears

So the question is: How do I tell a Workspace to accept 'Arial' as its
default font.

Hannes