[squeak-dev] Re: 603 asCharacter <print it>

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 18:17:00 UTC 2010

2010/3/29 Hannes Hirzel <hannes.hirzel at gmail.com>:
> Thank you Nicolas for doing the test on a Mac,
>
> I did a similar test again on MSWindows
>
> 32 to: 1000 do: [:code | Transcript show: (code printString , ' ',
> code asCharacter asString,' ')]
>
> Then I selected the generated text in the Transcript and changed the
> font to a Unicode font and voila the Unicode symbols were there.
>
> What I found out is that the problem lies at a different place
>
> 1) Open a Workspace
> 2) Right-Click on it and choose 'Set font'
> 3) Choose 'Arial'
> 4) Evaluate 16r411 asCharacter
> -> A box appears
> 5) Select the expression and choose 'Arial' again.
> -> The Cyrillic capital letter Be appears
>
> So the question is: How do I tell a Workspace to accept 'Arial' as its
> default font.
>
> Hannes

Good question!

I've got an awfull snippet for raising the interactive menu:

(((StringHolder new contents: '0,02' , (String with: Character euro))
	openLabel: 'Euro') findDeeplyA: TextMorphForEditView) selectAll
editor changeTextFont

And another one to change the font directly:

(((StringHolder new contents: '0,02' , (String with: Character euro))
	openLabel: 'Euro') findDeeplyA: TextMorphForEditView) fontName:
'Arial' pointSize: 12

Very fragile (highly dependent on implementation).
But maybe Morphic experts will come with simpler code :)

Nicolas