[squeak-dev] World menu versus docking bar

Balázs Kósi rebmekop at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 21:42:35 UTC 2010

Hi,
> However, for accessing global behavior, the docking bar still also
> requires more energy to use than the world menu, primarily due to the
> up-front fine-motor pointing gesture required, and that the keyboard
> cannot be used to invoke it like it can with the world menu (via ESC
> key).  I wouldn't want accessibility to things I can get from the
> World menu to suddenly require this fine-motor gesture every time..

You can invoke the menus in the docking bar by ctrl+<n>, where n is the
index of the menu, and then locate your menu item by typing.
e.g. to open a workspace hit ctrl+3 (to open the tools menu) and then type
'wo' (which selects the workspace menu item) and finally hit enter to open it.
The search bar also could be accessed by such a keystroke (e.g. ctrl+9),
but that's not yet implemented.

Balázs