[squeak-dev] Crypto?

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 16:21:03 UTC 2010

There is no "usual best practice around crypto" in Squeak or any other
technology.  "Crypto" is just one primitive tool of several needed for
digital security, and depending on what the security requirements
are..

Squeak's Cryptography package works and includes test-cases
demonstrating its various capabilities.

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 8:16 PM, Casey Ransberger
<casey.obrien.r at gmail.com> wrote:
> What's the usual best practice around crypto in Squeak? Usually rolling
> one's own crypto is a ridonculously bad idea so... do folks usually pipe
> things to and from the cryptography of the underlying OS using OSProcess?

If it is not absolutely crucial to be 100% secure, then using
lower-level may suffice.  IMO, ultimately, the end-to-end argument
cannot be denied, which is why we protect our sensitive bits at the
core (e.g., the domain objects themselves)..