[squeak-dev] Re: Mac Carbon VM 4.2.3b1 sound recording busted

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Mar 31 05:33:36 UTC 2010

Eliot's change to the SoundPlugin primitiveSoundRecordSamplesInto  altered the meaning of the bufSizeInBytes
before the platform code would attempt to calculate the real size based on the startWordIndex, but his change moved
that calculation into the plugin code, so without altering the platform code you end up doing a double subtraction of the startWordIndex offset.

In the carbon vm case this resulted in an underflow for an unsigned integer which then kills you when you say why yes there
is 0xFFFFFAB  bytes of storage to read into...

Based on his emal of "March 29, 2010 12:05:07 PM PDT"
Likely there is still confusion about exactly how it should work and be fixed.

John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>   Twitter:  squeaker68882