[squeak-dev] Re: Packaging of 4.1 for Windows

Gary Dunn osp at aloha.com
Wed Mar 31 06:02:23 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-03-26 at 16:26 -0400, Ian Trudel wrote:
> People hi,
>
> Another round for your own pleasure. It'd be handy if someone would
> host the file.
>
> http://rapidshare.com/files/368514200/Squeak-4.1-9745-100326-installer.exe.html
>
> Changes log:
> * Default install on %UserProfile%\Documents\<Squeak Directory>
> * Fixed desktop shortcut
> * Corrected product information
> * Added Squeak to Remove Software / Control Panel
>
> The software has to be installed with admin rights in order to fully
> benefit from Remove Software / Control Panel. Shall I require admin
> rights to install? It may be limiting some users depending on their
> rights in a multi-user environment.
>
> Ian.

Just tested. Works fine. In Win 7 everything installs under Documents,
which works fine and is nice because everything is in one place. As
unprivileged user there was no uninstall in Control Panel, but the
uninstall.exe worked well enough ... strange dialog box at the end about
program not installing successfully, just close it. Right-click
installer and run as administrator produces exactly the same result and
the Control Panel uninstall is there. Recommend this be explained on the
download web page.

If it isn't too hard I suggest putting in a donation pitch at the end
with info on where satisfied users can send some money. But first
someone needs to take care of that on the web site; I looked and could
not find any info on making a donation.

--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
osp at aloha.com