[squeak-dev] SqueakMap servers down

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Sat May 1 19:20:01 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-05-01 at 12:37 +0200, Balázs Kósi wrote:
> Hi,
> when trying to update SqueakMap I'm presented with the following message:
>
> Error occurred when updating map:
> All SqueakMap master servers are down:
> ''map.squeak.org''
> ''map1.squeakfoundation.org''
> ''map2.squeakfoundation.org''
> ''127.0.0.1:8080''
>
> Balázs

TL;DR: Restarted.

Longer:

It was locked up seemingly, there was no lingering .r file but there was
a SqueakDebug.log generated at May 1 04:37 GMT:

MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject>>isAdmin:
1 May 2010 4:37:02 am

VM: unix - a SmalltalkImage
Image: Squeak3.8 [latest update: #6665]

SecurityManager state:
Restricted: false
FileAccess: true
SocketAccess: true
Working Dir /home/squeakmap
Trusted Dir /home/squeakmap/secure
Untrusted Dir /home/squeakmap/My Squeak

UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #isAdmin:
	Receiver: nil
	Arguments and temporary variables:
		aMessage: 	isAdmin: true
	Receiver's instance variables:
nil

[] in UndefinedObject>>DoIt {[(SMSqueakMap default accountForEmail:
'goran at krampe.se')   isAdmin: true]}
	Arguments and temporary variables:

SMSqueakMap>>transaction:
	Receiver: a SMSqueakMap
	Arguments and temporary variables:
		aBlock: 	[] in UndefinedObject>>DoIt {[(SMSqueakMap default
accountForEmail: 'go...etc...
	Receiver's instance variables:
		packages: 	nil
		accounts: 	a Dictionary(size 920)
		objects: 	a Dictionary(size 3651)
		categories: 	nil
		dir: 	'sm'
		adminPassword: 	nil
		fileCache: 	a SMFileCache
		users: 	nil
		mutex: 	nil
		isDirty: 	false
		checkpointNumber: 	4763
		silent: 	nil
		registry: 	a SMInstallationRegistry

UndefinedObject>>DoIt
	Receiver: nil
	Arguments and temporary variables:

	Receiver's instance variables:
nil

--- The full stack ---
UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #isAdmin:
[] in UndefinedObject>>DoIt {[(SMSqueakMap default accountForEmail:
'goran at krampe.se')   isAdmin: true]}
SMSqueakMap>>transaction:
UndefinedObject>>DoIt
Compiler>>evaluate:in:to:notifying:ifFail:logged:
Compiler class>>evaluate:for:notifying:logged:
Compiler class>>evaluate:for:logged:
Compiler class>>evaluate:logged:
[] in RWBinaryOrTextStream(PositionableStream)>>fileInAnnouncing:
{[val := (self peekFor: $!)     ifTrue: [(Compiler evaluate: self
nextChunk l...]}
BlockContext>>on:do:
[] in RWBinaryOrTextStream(PositionableStream)>>fileInAnnouncing: {[:bar
|  [self atEnd]   whileFalse: [bar value: self position.    self
skipS...]}
[] in ProgressInitiationException>>defaultMorphicAction {[result :=
workBlock value: progress]}
BlockContext>>ensure:
ProgressInitiationException>>defaultMorphicAction
ProgressInitiationException>>defaultAction
UndefinedObject>>handleSignal:
ProgressInitiationException(Exception)>>signal
ProgressInitiationException>>display:at:from:to:during:
ProgressInitiationException class>>display:at:from:to:during:
ByteString(String)>>displayProgressAt:from:to:during:
RWBinaryOrTextStream(PositionableStream)>>fileInAnnouncing:
RWBinaryOrTextStream(PositionableStream)>>fileIn
CodeLoader>>installSourceFile:
[] in CodeLoader>>installSourceFiles {[:req | self installSourceFile:
req contentStream]}
Array(SequenceableCollection)>>do:
CodeLoader>>installSourceFiles
ProjectLauncher>>startUpAfterLogin
ProjectLauncher>>startUp
[] in AutoStart class>>startUp: {[launcher startUp]}
WorldState>>runStepMethodsIn:
PasteUpMorph>>runStepMethods
WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
WorldState>>doOneCycleFor:
PasteUpMorph>>doOneCycle
[] in Project class>>spawnNewProcess {[[World doOneCycle.  Processor
yield.  false] whileFalse.  nil]}
[] in BlockContext>>newProcess {[self value.  Processor
terminateActive]}

Simply killing it and letting svc restart it didn't change anything.  So
I fiddled around to get it working under VNC (I had to set a new
password which I will send to you under separate email).  For reasons I
haven't worked out I could not get manually starting vncserver without
squeakmap in the vnc startup script and then using run.headful with svc
to work.  We have an alternate version of that we use with
source.squeak.org that works fine.  I finally gave up and just stopped
using svc for the time being and just started the whole kit and kaboodle
with vnc.

The Do-It which I presume you (Goran) tried didn't work because you have
a spam befuddling in your email address in the database.  Also you might
want to delete your old Hultrgen account which is still marked as admin.

So I killed the open debugger.  I used the existing workspace snippets
and

SMSqueakMap default reload.
SMRootView stopAll.
SMRootView startDebugOn: 9091.

at this point the web interface seemed to be working and since I did not
know the relevance of the debug mode with HV I then

SMRootView stopAll.
SMRootView startOn: 9091.

Again everything seemed to be OK.  So I saved and quit, and restarted it
via svc.  Ack, no go.  It wouldn't work.  So then I remembered there is
a startup .st that you use.  So I check this.  Bingo.  You have a safety
check in there for your admin level access but it doesn't match your
current email address.  Boom!  So I comment out this bit of the startup
script, kill the non functioning process, let svc start it again and now
it seems to be running.  So perhaps the error above was not result of a
manual do-it but instead the startup script.

Ken