[squeak-dev] Proposal: Project Pink Book

Ian Trudel ian.trudel at gmail.com
Sun May 2 12:37:26 UTC 2010

Hi Michael,

It is an unexpected comment from a German. My experience in the German
market made it clear Germans demand high-quality writings — in German
that is. The companies I have worked for were paying top dollars for
near-perfect German writings, from advertisement to documentation.

The English market is more lax but I have seen its limits. Poor
quality documentation turned against one software vendor I worked for
few years ago. It did undermine sales and the broken English
documentation made the top 3 most complains.

Squeak is a product that happens to be free-of-charge. I wrote that once. :)

My point is that we have more to gain to do it right from the ground
up. The efforts required to interface with a spellchecker library is
much less now than rewriting documentation later. I like your idea
about asking code contributors for their opinion but it's difficult to
get feedback from others in our community at the moment. Plus, barely
few want to write documentation along their code. Nobody rewrite
documentation. :O

What we will be writing will be stuck for years in our documentation
system with little chances for update assuming that documentation gets
some attention from a small part of our community (and no more). I am
all about increasing our chances of success. :)

Question. Does HelpSystem support syntax highlight? It would be great
to insert piece of codes properly formatted. In fact, if you guys look
at my recent article on my blog, this is the kind of visual elements
we might need to provide an appealing documentation.

Ian.
--
http://mecenia.blogspot.com/