Method versions and browsing them (Re: [squeak-dev] The Trunk: ToolBuilder-Morphic-ul.59.mcz)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sun May 2 15:37:54 UTC 2010

On 02.05.2010, at 16:18, Frank Shearar wrote:

> On 2010/05/02 15:21, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>
>> Updating using Monticello skips intermediate versions. It just loads the latest, so the intermediate ones are not in the changes file.
>
> Ah. Makes sense. It does make the VersionsBrowser less useful (IMO at least), since it shows only those versions in the changes file.

Yup.

> In other words, if I load a Monticello package, and look at the versions of some method brand new to the image, I'll only see that most recent version, not the full history of that method (which would require downloading every mcz/mcd for that package).
>
> But, if I understand correctly, if I loaded up each version separately and saved the image in between, I would see all the versions because each save would store that version in the changes file?

No need to save the image in between. Just load all in succession.

Btw, I'd think The Right Way to do this is put the versions into a database [*] on some server, preferably back to the beginning of time. Then hook the versions browser into that, merging local and remote changes. I think some student (maybe of Ralph?) started on this but I can't remember if it lead anywhere.

- Bert -

[*] How does git or hg or something like that sound as a database format? ;)