[squeak-dev] [Documentation] Classes with class comment with size > 1000 chars

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Sun May 2 20:12:08 UTC 2010

I'd actually recommend that we worry about documenting the tests after
documenting the classes they test for several reasons.

 - Tests are a form of documentation already. When I am looking for ways to
use a class, and the class comment is insufficient, I'll often look at
whatever tests are available.

 - I would rather focus on the core classes that one needs to use all the
time first, and work our way out from there.

 - The way you use the tests, for most folks anyway, is to use the test
runner. While I can recall having run the tests without it once, I'd call
that a use case for intermediate users. We still have a big fat question
mark button in classes beginners will need to use, which leads them to a box
that says "class has no comment" and I think we should deal with that
*first.*

Then again, this is just how Casey's internal triage works. I am known for
punting things when I see something that brains me as more important. Your
spiritual mileage may of course vary!

Anyhow, it would be lovely if other folks interested might sanity check this
expression as successfully excluding the tests:

(Smalltalk allClasses reject: [ :class |
class inheritsFrom: TestCase ])

--
Casey Ransberger