[squeak-dev] Re: Overrides. Evil. Need to do something with it.

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Wed May 5 15:51:52 UTC 2010

"Evil" is too strong a word.  Perhaps "unfortunate".   Ideally we would not
need overrides, but people do not write ideal code.  Given the fact that
people are constantly publishing packages that are imperfect, it is useful
for people who use their packages to be able to override things in them.
 You can argue that we really ought to fix the packages, but perhaps we
don't know enough to fix it properly.

One of the many ways in which Smalltalk is better than Java is that a
package can override methods in other packages.

-Ralph Johnson