[squeak-dev] Re: Overrides. Evil. Need to do something with it.

Sam Adams ssadams at us.ibm.com
Wed May 5 16:23:47 UTC 2010

+1

Freedom to override anything, anywhere, anytime is essential for Smalltalk.
It is not evil, just as a DNU hack is not evil, but it does have serious
consequences once your code leaves your image and enters another.  Freedom
comes with responsibilities and consequences.
Banning overrides would be a very bad thing, but tracking and reporting
such situations to either/both producer/consumer is a very good thing.
I would prefer a preload scan like the delightful "code-file browser" that
collects and informs me about these issues in batch rather than a streaming
nag dialog that makes me click as each one files in (reminds me of the
Mac-vs-PC Vista commercial....Permission to xxx?  shudder).

Regards,
Sam

Sam S. Adams, IBM Distinguished Engineer, IBM Research
Mobile: 919-696-6064, email: ssadams at us.ibm.com
Asst: Kenndra K. Quiles. (732) 926-2292 Fax: (732) 926-2455, email:
Kenndra at us.ibm.com
<<Hebrews 11:6, Proverbs 3:5-6, Romans 1:16-17, I Corinthians 1:10>>