[squeak-dev] Can not load Aliens FFI in Squeak 4.1

Dmitry Matveev dmm1989 at gmail.com
Thu May 6 16:50:18 UTC 2010

Hello Dave,

Thank you for advice. This day I've spent trying to build the Squeak
entirely from the svn using the VMMaker. It was a real pain.

I've took the
http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/2010/03/build-squeak-vm-on-linux.html podcast
as tutorial.
At first, I've tried to install the VMMaker from the SqueakSource in my
current Squeak 4.1 image. It has failed to install (and now I cannot
remember why).
Then I've tried to install the VMMaker from the SqueakSource into the Pharo
1.0 image. It was successful, so I've run the VMMakerTool from there.
It looked like the VMMaker has prepared the sources directory properly; I've
replaced the appropriate directory from the svn version by the generated
one, ran the configure and make, I've got the IA32ABI folder in my build
directory with the cmake' makefiles (yeah!), but it did not helped :(

The compiled VM still fails to execute my simple 'asAlien' code with the
same error.

My head is spinning. Could somebody produce a step-by-step scenario for the
complete idiots like me how to get it all working right?