[squeak-dev] Tracking authors in Monticello

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat May 8 04:29:05 UTC 2010

Folks -

I just posted an experiment to the inbox to allow better tracking of
authorship in Monticello. The changes make the author *initials* derived
from the author *name* and consequently both can be used independently
in Monticello. For example, look at the last commit message:

Name: System-ar.329
Author: Andreas Raab

While the file is short and accessible, the ancestry has the full name
of the author. This should help with better understanding of authorship
without getting this incredible bloat in the file names which I really
dislike (nothing personally but working with, i.e.,
"Collections-HenrikSperreJohansen.335.mcz" in the regular Monticello
tools is difficult).

The only downside I can see is for people whose initials aren't actually
derived from their name, for example Nicoloas uses "nice" instead of "nc".

What do people think? Is this change worth it?

Cheers,
   - Andreas