[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] WebClient and WebServer 1.0 for Squeak

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Mon May 10 16:45:50 UTC 2010

On 5/10/10, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
> On Mon, 10 May 2010, Hannes Hirzel wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately UTF8TextConverter cannot deal with non-Latin1
>> characters. So it's usefulness is limited.
>
> UTF8TextConverter can deal with non-latin1 characters. I
> think you're trying to pass a WideString to #encodeByteString: which
> obviously doesn't work.
>

> Levente

Yes I am passing aWideString to
    #encodeByteString:

as this is the only conversion method UTF8TextConverter.

And you're right I should pass a ByteString.

However as the case
   ('ä', 8220 asCharacter asString) asByteString   "A"
shows in comparison to
  ('ä', 65 asCharacter asString) asByteString      "B"

I get only in case "B" a ByteString, in case "A" it remains a WideString.

So the question is: How do I convert a WideString to UTF8 as
UTF8TextConverter is limited to code points from 0...255 and I want
the full Unicode range?

Or put the question otherwise: Is there a textconverter which
implements the following algorithm
http://dsc.sun.com/dev/gadc/technicalpublications/articles/utf8.html

-Hannes