SqueakMap cache explained somewhat (Re: [squeak-dev] Cleaning up SqueakMap)

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Fri May 14 09:27:03 UTC 2010

On 05/14/2010 10:08 AM, Hannes Hirzel wrote:
> On 5/14/10, Göran Krampe<goran at krampe.se>  wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> So, one way to "screw it up" is to register a release with a URL that
>> fails - say returns a 404. SM will then consider that result to be the
>> correct result and compute an SHA hash and store the 404.html file as
>> the cached "proper file". When the real file is placed on that URL it
>> will not work since the SHA hash will be different and SM will instead
>> rely on the cached file (which of course is a silly 404.html).
>
> This is the description of a bug. If an URL returns 404 and SqueakMap
> still has a file cached it should not overwrite the cache version with
> 404.html

You did not read what I wrote (or I didn't describe it clear enough), I
was describing a procedure where you *first* register a URL/release and
only *afterwards* ensures that there is a file on that URL. That will
not work.

SM only updates the cache (AFAIK) if you:

	1. Enter a new release.
	2. Edit an existing release and *modify* its download URL.

...since the purpose of the cache is to actually *help* when a URL goes
bad/offline etc, it would otherwise be quite pointless and indeed a
major bug.

regards, Göran