[squeak-dev] Problem with OpenCobalt & Jabber

John Chludzinski john.chludzinski at gmail.com
Mon May 17 06:00:32 UTC 2010

When I logged into OpenCobalt (opencobalt-1.0alpha1rc32) using my GMail
account as a Jabber server, I immediately started getting walkbacks when it
tried to get pictures for my buddy list.  The problem resulted from:

JabberClient>>getPhotoFor: ===> JabberClient >>collectVcardResult:  ===>
IMClient>>buddyWithId: which uses 'noID' to search through (#includesKey:)
the buddy Dictionary.  Eventually this resulted in JabberID>>= being called
with ByteString 'noID' as the "other" argument.  In here 'noID' is sent the
message JabberID>>node.  Game over!

I added, as the first statement in JabberID>>=, the guard code: self class =
other class ifFalse: [ ^ false ].  Seems to work.

---John

BTW, I'm attempting to use the Jabber client in Croquet/OpenCobalt in
connection with Seaside (as the most mature Jabber client in Squeak?).