[squeak-dev] Re: Community Supported Packages

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Mon May 17 13:24:49 UTC 2010

Dear Torsten,

I don't know if you watched all that carefully, but in the last 48 hours
we've made our decision. You seem to think we're having a discussion about
it.

I think at bottom you are more of a Pharo guy. I think Pharo needs to extend
to us the same right of complete autonomy that it has seized for itself. We
are not going to have a discussion about how Pharo does things and how we
are supposed to make what we do jibe with those plans.

It is good to have a common tool of Metacello in all three: us, you, and
GemStone. We have decided to use the tool in a slightly different way. This
is  no cause for us to start co-oordinating with Pharo to seek a tri-image
schema.

Added to which, you say that Pharo has packages to manage? It only has one
raison d'etre and that's Seaside. There is now, with cessation of support to
Seaside 2.8, no official release of Seaside. Seaside 3.0 is still in alpha.
How many official releases do you have over there?

I repeat, you are one step behind the times, Torsten. We have chosen. Colin
has just created the first test case.

Chris