[squeak-dev] Re: Community Supported Packages

Sean P. DeNigris sean at clipperadams.com
Mon May 17 15:25:30 UTC 2010

Teleplacer wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong but what you're saying sounds as if we're in
> violent agreement :-)

Ha ha, I was on a roll!

Teleplacer wrote:

>  Yes, having a more specific version info for
> Metacello is needed and a Good Thing (tm), no doubt about it. OTOH, the
> specific version info doesn't solve all the problems when dealing with
> the issue of package and image versions (as you're admitting below). So
> it seems we're in complete agreement here.

Yes, my tweak to the great proposals is - for each project:
1. use a fork-specific ConfigurationOf (as suggested by both Pharo and
Squeak), but only when projects become, well... forked
2. and, default to one shared ConfigurationOf to make life easier for
cross-fork developers, until the project takes on a life of it's own in a
particular platform; using Metacello's built-in (if versioning was included)
platform management.

Sean