[squeak-dev] Re: Towards clean unloading Morphic (an idea)

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Thu May 20 21:40:19 UTC 2010

On 05/20/2010 07:11 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:
> On 5/20/2010 10:08 AM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>> Or of course a derivative reinvention. I'm ignorant of other namespace
>> attempts in Squeak. Has something close to the above scheme been tried
>> before?
>
> Clearly you are ;-) Entire wars have been waged about whether it should
> be period or colon.

Ehm... Eliot, what you describe sound very close to my Namespace
implementation available on SqueakMap and also written up:

http://swiki.krampe.se/gohu/27

...see especally:

http://swiki.krampe.se/gohu/32

And I think period is bad, it blends too much with sequencing, I
personally think double colon looks the best and stands out. And is used
in both C++ and Perl AFAIK.

Also, one of the GSoC projects is "cross platform namespaces", but I am
not yet sure which direction that will take.

regards, Göran

PS. I am not "pushing" for my Namespaces solution/implementation because
I don't generally feel "the pain", but I do tend to remind people about
it when the subject comes up. Perhaps in a few more years people will
start warming up :)