[squeak-dev] Re: Towards clean unloading Morphic (an idea)

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu May 20 22:29:58 UTC 2010

Hi Göran,

2010/5/20 Göran Krampe <goran at krampe.se>

> On 05/20/2010 07:11 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>> On 5/20/2010 10:08 AM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>>
>>> Or of course a derivative reinvention. I'm ignorant of other namespace
>>> attempts in Squeak. Has something close to the above scheme been tried
>>> before?
>>>

>> Clearly you are ;-) Entire wars have been waged about whether it should
>> be period or colon.
>>

> Ehm... Eliot, what you describe sound very close to my Namespace
> implementation available on SqueakMap and also written up:
>
> http://swiki.krampe.se/gohu/27
>
> ...see especally:
>
> http://swiki.krampe.se/gohu/32
>
> And I think period is bad, it blends too much with sequencing, I personally
> think double colon looks the best and stands out. And is used in both C++
> and Perl AFAIK.
>
> Also, one of the GSoC projects is "cross platform namespaces", but I am not
> yet sure which direction that will take.
>
> regards, Göran

Cool.  I'll take a look.  It seems to me that this approach is very
light-weight w.r.t. system changes.  Monticello works unaffected, etc.
 There are minor tweaks to SystemDictionary and whatever subclass of
SharedPool a NamespaceSharedPool is, but that's it.  It appears one doesn't
even have to modify the compiler.  e.g. imports can be handled
in NamespaceSharedPool.  So I like the minimality.

best
Eliot