[squeak-dev] Re: Towards clean unloading Morphic (an idea)

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Fri May 21 09:01:56 UTC 2010

On 05/21/2010 09:23 AM, Tobias Pape wrote:

> Am 2010-05-21 um 08:44 schrieb Torsten Bergmann:
>
>>> And I think period is bad, it blends too much with sequencing, I
>>> personally think double colon looks the best and stands out. And is used
>>> in both C++ and Perl AFAIK
>>
>> Double colon is also used in Smalltalk MT for Namespaces.
>

> … what about a slash?
> +	makes for a good binary message
> 		NameSpaceA / SubspaceB / ClassC
> +	Looks like a Path
> -	May interfere with division

If you start using syntax that includes "space" then you will get into
syntactic problems. It clashes with message sending, but on the other
hand, if you are indeed looking for *dynamic* namespaces then that is
what you want. But then, as Dan Ingalls suggested, you wouldn't need any
slash at all, it would just be:

NameSpaceA SubspaceB ClassC

...now, my Namespace solution is *not* dynamic, so it is not message
sending. It simply allows having the character $: in a Symbol and thus
also in a global reference. And oh, my proposal was *not* hierarchical
but a flat list - but it could be made hierarchical if needed, I just
didn't feel the need. So:

NameSpaceA::ClassC

...in my solution is just a global reference.

regards, Göran