[squeak-dev] squeak performance

Alain_Rastoul alr.dev at free.fr
Fri May 21 09:59:23 UTC 2010

Hello,

I recently tryed then 4.1 and discovered a strange behavior that appearead
to be true with the 3.10 also.
The test is simply running benchFib in series of runs.
If I run the test 10 times, on of the run is about 2-3 times faster than the
others, and I can't explain that.

10 timesRepeat: [
 | r t |
   t := Time millisecondsToRun: [r := 26 benchFib].
   Transcript show: ((r * 1000) // t) ; cr.
 ]

will give me 10 numbers about 2486297 (one of the runs)
but one run will give me 10 numbers about 6773017.
I stopped all I could stop on my laptop and nothing else but squeak is
running...
I made a TimeProfileBrowser and the inner loop of the profile seems to show
that primitives are more than 2 times faster.
(and everything seems 2 times faster)
Anybody noticed that (I searched the web but found nothing) ?
primitive calls ?
methodCache?

Best regards,

Alain