[squeak-dev] Re: Cross-fork Metacello configurations

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat May 22 06:22:36 UTC 2010

On 5/21/2010 10:22 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> If the configs have to be forked, then Metacello really loses value (i.e.
>> #squeak and #pharo).  And, I do a lot of work in both forks, so it would be
>> a shame to pick one to upload to and not share work that has already been
>> done with half the users.
>
> Perhaps it indeed would be a good idea to not use ConfigurationOf* class names, as previously suggested. Using the same name implies re-usability, but these configurations are system specific. They are also quite small, re-using configurations is not that important. What *is* more important is that the configuration has actually been tested in Squeak, and not just been copied over from other places.

I've been starting to wonder about this. Here's a question: How do we
expect this to be used? I suspect that the most use for "polymorphic
configs" will be certain standard libraries, for example the FFI or
HelpSystem. Having different names for those seems problematic, because
it creates more work for whoever wants to use that config - the
polymorphic name, i.e., ConfigurationOfFFI makes sure you get the right
thing regardless on platform you're running on.

I think we need some actual examples here, and how the results would look.

Cheers,
   - Andreas