[squeak-dev] Re: Towards clean unloading Morphic (an idea)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu May 27 03:13:47 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 08:08:34PM -0700, Andreas Raab wrote:
> On 5/20/2010 5:05 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
> >I know, it is historically been so, but i wonder if there other (more
> >appropriate) dispathes.
> >
> >Smalltalk graphics display
> >Smalltalk ui morphicWorld
>
> I'll object to those two because they don't imply the presence of
> multiple displays or worlds. "Graphics" and "UI" sound like singletons
> to me; "projects" on the other hand can be many.

I like Igor's suggestion here. To me, the phrases "Smalltalk graphics"
and "Smalltalk ui" do imply multiple displays or worlds. And the
expressions are easily evaluated to figure out what objects they
actually point to.

Vectoring things through Project is an excellent mechanism, but I also
like the phrases that Igor proposes as a way to express the meaning,
and as a way to permit the mechanism to be evolved in the future.

As an example, the expression "Smalltalk os windowSystemName" is
a phrase that is easy to understand, answering the name of the window
system for the host operating system. The mechanism is totally bogus
("Smalltalk os" answers a SmalltalkImage rather than some object
that represents the host operating system), but it suggests how
the implementation might look in the future (a class that represents
the host OS). Thus the phrase expresses intent rather than mechanism,
and I think this is a good thing.

Dave