[squeak-dev] stdio support

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Nov 3 23:56:11 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 06:15:01PM +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 03.11.2010, at 17:41, blake wrote:
>
> > Could any of this result in, say, an implementation of Curses or a curses-like text output?
>

> It wouldn't magically "result" in that, no. But you could built one. However, since you could have done that using OSProcess for many years, it's not more likely to happen. Who needs curses anyway nowadays? The space between command line utilities and full-blown graphical UIs is drying up ...

Supporting curses (or or vi or emacs...) requires a pty interface
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudo_terminal) as well as some layer
of terminal emulation (e.g. ansi terminal). Ian Piumarta implemented
both of these in his "telnet" package many years ago. I don't have a
link handy, but it appears on SqueakMap.

If anyone is seriously interested in this, you should definitely take
Ian's work as a starting point.

Ian suggested adding the pty part to OSProcess, though I never took
the time to do it. To be honest, I doubt there is any real demand for
this nowadays.

Dave