[squeak-dev] [Ann][Cuis] Cuis 2.8 released

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Sun Nov 7 01:48:33 UTC 2010

Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> Okay, just for nitpicking, the #waitForSeconds send is unnecessary in
> DateAndTime >> #now, because #milliSecondsSinceMidnight will send it.

Right. I left it because I felt it would be good to state that the
offsets must be consistent... I guess a comment is enough. I'll remove it.

>> Right. I did not remove #detect:ifNone: as that would break a lot of
>> code. But I believe having the actionBlock in the sender will usually
>> save some #ifTrue: to do stuff only when an element was found.
>
> The only minor problem with blocks is that they have to be copied and
> activated which is sometimes too expensive.

Right. I guess anybody writing such performance critical code for this
to matter, should check all the called methods himself, and tweak as needed.

> But, your exceptionBlock enhancement is fantastic in
> #findBinary*ifNone:. I was about to implement some kind of C++-style
> #upperBound: and #lowerBound:, but your solution already includes that
> and it's even more general. It shows the power of Smalltalk and blocks.

:) I also liked that one!

>> Cuis change sets are numbered and should considered in order. Latest
>> update number is 034, so 431 is quite old. It is actually older than
>> Cog public release. That code was modified later, when the issues you
>> mention were found in Squeak. You can check that by opening a changes
>> list on change set 431 in Cuis. MessageTally works correctly in Cuis
>> on Cog.
>
> I'm aware of the numbering scheme, but I was checking the changesets
> by name. The fixes are in 0511-CogCompatibility and I was only looking
> at the changesets that had tally in their name.

I see.

> Levente

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich