The Inbox (was: Re: [squeak-dev] The Trunk: Kernel-ul.515.mcz)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Nov 15 21:38:54 UTC 2010

On 15.11.2010, at 21:47, Tobias Pape wrote:

> Am 2010-11-15 um 20:45 schrieb Levente Uzonyi:
>>
>> Also, this method has a bug. There's no guarantee, that the sender won't wait for the semaphore. I uploaded a fix to the Inbox for review recently, though I didn't get any feedback on it: http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-November/155058.html
>
> Seeing that, and regarding my last mail regarding an Inbox
> inclusion, I'd like to bring up the Inbox topic in general,
> again.
>  How can „we“ as community, or squeak-dev specifically, ensure
> that every Inbox commit gets its due attention? There are—how many?—
> core developers out there, but if none of them is particularly interested
> in a contribution, it might get lost. Can we avoid that?
>
> So Long,
> 	-Tobias

Well, someone could step up to keep tabs on the Inbox. Doesn't even have to be a core dev. You're starting to make a good job at that ;)

Also, others could let the core developers know that the new package works for them, and is considered useful.

E.g. Levente's ping above was easy to follow up, it included a reference to the original message which lists the diff. Whereas your ping today did not state if it works for you.

One reason why Levente's package was not quickly commented on might have been because he mixed a feature addition with cleanup. Monticello tempts us to do that because each version is so heavy-weight, but separating issues cleanly might help.

- Bert -