[squeak-dev] Re: New macintosh vm builder & maintainer: Esteban Lorenzano

Esteban Lorenzano estebanlm at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 23:22:52 UTC 2010

Hi,
Thank you all for all your best wishes... I know, John work will be
really hard to match, but he wants to pass the responsibility, and I
accepted because he promise to guide me for awhile, until I can build
the mac vm's... Of course, I have A LOT of things to learn, before been
a good builder, but I'll do my best, so, please, be kind... it will
take time, until the role is fullfilled in a satisfactory way :)

Now, for the coming work, I thought on what would be the first steps...
these are my ideas:

1) Create a hudson configuration for the vms, so it can be built
automatically. Of course, there are two problems here:
a) we need a good test batery, and the vm has not. To solve this, I
think the pharo tests will ne a good "starting vm suite": If the tests
succed, we can hope the vm "more or less" works.
b) we need a mac hudson server. Maybe pharo guys can help here, but I dunno...

1.1) Infraestructure: we need a place were publish new built vms
(John's place does not have sense any more)... do you know a place. I
suppose squeakvm.org is a good place, but maybe not. Any idea?

2) 4.x series are obsolete, I will focus my work on keep up-to-date 5.x
series. Merge with cog is very important here :)
Also, I want to work with Eliot on his vmmaker code generation changes,
but this will take more time as the code generation insights are triky.

3) Keep the vm working with new changes introduced by apple. Next year
will be Lion, and before that, the new app. store...

So, I think I have a lot of work to begin... please let me know if
there are important things I'm missing.

NOTE: As I'm learning, please, when you commit something in VMMaker who
needs a special mac treatment, make a comment so I can know it...
otherwise the change can be lost in the limbo...

And, finally, I want to say we are all going to miss you John, and I
more than anybody!

Cheers,
Esteban

pd: btw... I will need write permission on squeakvm.org... do you know
who I need to ask for?

On 2010-11-21 22:42:07 -0300, John M McIntosh