[squeak-dev] Re: The Trunk: Morphic-laza.477.mcz

Alexander Lazarević laza at blobworks.com
Tue Nov 23 07:39:34 UTC 2010

I see the "Extending the system" workspace as a collection of code
recipes. I don't need to fully understand each one of them (How to use
Monticello, Installer, Gofer, whatever) and just can carelessly "do"
one of them to get the wanted result (FFI; Omnibrowser, ...).

With the original "recipe" for Omnibrowser I get that "unknown
selector" popup for lastVersion. My usual gut reaction to this popup
is to look out for a problem. But here I find out, that the selector
lastVersion will be (probably) available after the first part of the
recipe. Now I can do a two step doIt to avoid this or one doIt and
ignore the "unknown selector" popup. And I have to remember what to do
next time I want to load OB into the system. With #perform: the recipe
just works out of the box (for me) and I can spare myself some brain
cycles.

One could argue, that these recipes are only for developers and that
they just can see in a blink of an eye what to do and that it ain't no
good to obfuscate the code. But than these developers could also
easily see that some recipes need to be done as a step by step doIt
and there would be no reason to obfuscate them with things like
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser) either.

But maybe my threshold on this differs from the majority of
developers. So just change it back if you want.

Alex